The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) has teamed up with the Southampton Data Science Academy (SDSA) to develop a course aimed at helping insurance professionals meet data and artificial intelligence (AI) challenges head on.
The CII introductory-level course will develop insurance professionals’ understanding of data analysis, data visualisation techniques, an ethical approach to AI and data science techniques for insurance.
The six-week course, delivered by a mixture of online teaching, weekly group tutorials and one-to-one sessions, is taught over a single module of four to six hours per week.
Assessment is via a single 1,500-word assignment amounting to 80% of the total mark and a set of discussion forum contributions making up the remaining 20% of the final mark.
A digital certificate, co-branded CII and SDSA, will be issued around three to four weeks after completion.
The course normally costs £1,500 but a £250 discount is offered to those who sign-up to study this month.
Sian Fisher, CEO of the CII, noted that data science and AI was becoming a key part of the market.
It is helping insurance companies improve customer service and products, provide more detailed and insightful analysis, make better decisions and predictions and improve efficiency.
“People are increasingly being asked to work with data in their roles.” Fisher said.
“Those who understand its potential are well-placed to drive innovation. Data resides across various silos and teams within most businesses. Increased data literacy drives teamwork and innovation.
“The course is ideal for anyone in the insurance profession seeking to develop an understanding of data science and AI capabilities – from broking, underwriting and claims professionals, to business analysts, product development, management and marketing roles.”
UK AI skills champion Dame Wendy Hall, who led the development of the course, added: “We’re delighted to be partnering with the CII in the piloting of this new course, and confident that the cutting-edge expertise we bring in data science and AI will enable more insurance professionals to succeed in an increasingly digital world.”